Well then. It’s been a hot minute, hasn’t it?
Thankfully, this summer has been much better than 2017, so I’ve been busy in a good way since my last post!
In May, I took a trip with my family to Yellowstone, which was amazing and relaxing (well, minus the 32 hour drive there and back!). Then in June, I flew up to see friends and hang out at the Supernatural convention in Pittsburgh!
So, how’s things going with IN THE SHADOW OF THE NECROPOLIS, you ask? (I know, you didn’t ask. But I’m going to tell you anyway.)
Things have been characteristically slow for me. I still believe in this story and think it could be The One that lands me an agent, which is probably part of the reason it’s going so slowly. I tend to procrastinate when I feel like I’m on the cusp of greatness. It’s a problem.
Right now, I’m FINALLY working on what should be my final revision (yay!!). I’m adding a few scenes, deleting a few scenes… the works. I’m removing the romance subplot (eh, who needs it?) and reverting to single POV instead of double, which didn’t really add much to the story. I’m currently about 18% of the way through, sitting at 15,000 words. Soooo if my math is correct, the final draft should be around 80k, which the previous couple of drafts have been anyway.
I’m also currently waffling back and forth about a potential title change (listen, this is Writer Procrastination 101, and I know it). The current title is IN THE SHADOW OF THE NECROPOLIS. It’s been that title since day 1, and I *like* it, but I’m not 100% sold on it the way I was in the past.
A couple of options rattling around:
Shadowfall (or Darkfall)
Kingdom of Madness and Shadow
I may just stick with my current title for querying, but I’m not sure…
This blog post is my strategy for kicking myself into gear to get several chapters edited this weekend. I’m HOPING to be ready to start querying by the end of the month! (Which is terrifying.) Ahhh!
Postscript: Books I’ve Read So Far This Year
- THE MERCILESS II: THE EXORCISM OF SOFIA FLORES by Danielle Vega
- A MILLION WORLDS WITH YOU by Claudia Gray
- WONDER WOMAN: WARBRINGER by Leigh Bardugo (**on audio**)
- BENEATH THE HAUNTING SEA by Joanna Ruth Meyer
- ORYX AND CRAKE by Margaret Atwood
- IRON GOLD by Pierce Brown
- FAMILY DON’T END WITH BLOOD by Lynn Zubernis
- ACE OF SHADES by Amanda Foody (**ARC**)
- LEIA: PRINCESS OF ALDERAAN by Claudia Gray
- SCREENWRITING FOR DUMMIES by John Logan
- CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE by Tomi Adeyemi
- RENEGADES by Marissa Meyer
- DREAM COUNTRY (SANDMAN #3) by Neil Gaiman
- SEASON OF MISTS (SANDMAN #4) by Neil Gaiman
- A GAME OF YOU (SANDMAN #5) by Neil Gaiman
- THE LANGUAGE OF THORNS by Leigh Bardugo
- BRIGHT SMOKE, COLD FIRE by Rosamund Hodge
- IMAGINARY GIRLS by Nova Ren Suma
- THESE REBEL WAVES by Sara Raasch (**ARC**)
- ENDLESS WATER, STARLESS SKY by Rosamund Hodge (**ARC**)
- MY PLAIN JANE by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton & Jodi Meadows (**ARC**)
- MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA by Arthur Golden
- LEGENDARY by Stephanie Garber
- HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER’S STONE by JK Rowling
- HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS by JK Rowling
- THIS IS ME by Chrissy Metz (**on audio**)
- RESTORE ME by Tahereh Mafi
- SELF-COMPASSION by Kristen Neff (**on audio**)
- SMOKE IN THE SUN by Renee Ahdieh