Looks Like I Made It!

Here I am in Berkeley, CA!  Yesterday and today has been so crazy so I’ll try to slow down and rewind a bit.

Okay. Yesterday (Saturday) I got up not-so-very happy, since it was about six o’clock (I’m not a morning person). Packed my last minute stuff like my toothbrush and headed out to the airport with my dad.  I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this, but I’ve never flown before.  I wasn’t nervous about it, though.  Just about getting here and staying… But more about that later.

The flight to Vegas wasn’t so bad. It was about 3 1/2 hours if I remember correctly (time difference really threw me off LOL).  I got a glimpse of downtown New Orleans on takeoff which was pretty cool. I wasn’t in a window seat though, so I didn’t get to see much, especially when passengers put their window covers down to rest. I didn’t rest, myself. I sat quietly for half an hour or so, then I read my book the rest of the way to Vegas. By the time we landed, I was almost finished.

We had almost 2 hours in Vegas, so we got to eat and relax a little bit before our connection to Oakland. I wasn’t really hungry, so I didn’t eat a lot. I don’t know if travel typically does this to a person, but I haven’t had much of an appetite all weekend, really. Weird.

The connection from Vegas to Oakland was much shorter, about 1 1/2 hours. I read a little bit, but I mainly looked out the window and took pictures, since I had a window seat this time.


Once we landed in Oakland, we had to wait for our luggage on the carousel. That took a little while, and I was kind of tired by this point. Thankfully they didn’t lose it, although they did tear a tiny hole in my suitcase. I couldn’t blame them for that, though. I had so much stuffed in that pocket, it was almost inevitable.

From there we walked out the front door and a couple of curbs forward to the Air BART station. The Air BART is a bus that takes you to the main line. We got our tickets with $20 on them each, then got on the bus which had conveniently just gotten there.  On the ride over to the Coliseum BART station, we noticed the train line above the interstate running towards the airport.  Sometime in the near future, the BART will run directly to the Oakland airport, like it does in San Francisco.

The Coliseum BART station is directly across from the Raiders’ stadium, so I managed to get a picture of that. Check another NFL stadium off the list!  I didn’t get to see Candlestick Park on our trip to San Francisco, but I’ve seen the Coliseum.


My roommate for the summer and two of her friends picked us up at the Downtown Berkeley BART station and took us back to the apartment. We had made it! 1,900 miles, 2 planes, a bus and a train later, we made it.  We rested for a bit, then took a walk up to the UC Berkeley campus, a couple of blocks away.  I got to see the hall where my classes for the next 6 weeks will be.  After that, we decided to walk to the Safeway store to get some groceries.

Bad idea.

Turns out, the Safeway was technically in Oakland. A couple of miles at least. Then we had to walk back with 2 heavy grocery bags.  Oops. We discovered today that the Walgreens across from campus actually carries grocery items, too. Go figure. Needless to say, I’ll be shopping there from now on.

I went to bed around 8 o’clock. 10 o’clock back home. The time difference hasn’t changed my habits very much, but I was so tired. I mean, it’s 9:30 now (11:30 back home) and I’m not extremely tired yet.

Anyway. The next morning we got up around 8 and went to 9:30 Mass at Newman Hall, half a block away. We came back to the apartment to change and headed straight out to San Francisco. We stopped over on campus again for a few minutes.

049 044 048 050 056

Then we took the BART across the bay to San Francisco! I could go on forever about the day, but I’ll try to sum it up. The city was beautiful, and really cold. I had a long-sleeved shirt, but it wasn’t good enough. I got a Berkeley hoodie on the way home, not that it helped then…

We arrived in the Financial District, which reminded me a little of downtown New Orleans. Our buildings aren’t nearly as cool, though057 058 059 066 099

We decided to walk all the way from the BART to Fisherman’s Wharf. Another questionable decision, but you only live once, or so they say. We ended up being glad we got to walk and see everything instead of having it pass by on the bus, but… I have never walked so much in 2 days in my LIFE! It’s 2 miles to the bay from the station, but it felt a lot longer. Still, we got to walk straight through the heart of Chinatown to get there, which was amazing. It literally felt like walking down the streets of an Asian town. I rarely heard anyone speaking English. Wow.

070 094 095 097

Me ^

After the longest walk of my life, we arrived at Fisherman’s Wharf.  It was definitely worth it. Yes it was absolutely freezing and the wind was tremendously strong, and yes, I didn’t get to see the Golden Gate because of the fog, but look at these pictures. It was just beautiful down there.  The walk back, uphill, not so much LOL. But this was worth the whole thing.  And it’s just the beginning of my trip.


(stay tuned!)

082 083 087 088

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s